Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 5 hrs
BBQ Friends Barbacoa Tacos
BBQ Barbacoa Tacos
- 0.9 – 1.3kg Beef Cheeks
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Beef Broth (Low Sodium)
- 1 White Onion
- 12 Tortillas
- 8 Cilantro (optional)
- Combine salt and pepper in a shaker for easy application. Unwrap beef cheeks and trim excess fat and silver skin off the meat.
- Rub down the meat with olive oil for a binder and season evenly with your salt/pepper mixture.
- Start working on getting the fire going and your smoker up to 135 °C. Once your smoker is at 135 °C, you can add a water pan to the side of your grill that is closest to the fire. This will help with keeping your beef cheeks moist. Center the beef cheeks on the middle of the grill and let the smoker do the work.
- Once the beef cheeks have reached around 74 °C internal temp, it is time to braise (this should be around the 3-hour mark).
- Apply a layer of onion slices to the bottom of an aluminum pan. Set your beef cheeks on top of the layer of onions.
- Carefully pour the beef broth into the pan and make sure to cover the pan completely with aluminum foil.
- Put the pan back into the smoker and continue to maintain a temperature of 135 °C.
- Once the beef cheeks have reached an internal temp between 95-76 °C, it is time to take them off the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes. The beef cheeks should be very tender and falling apart when probed.
- After the beef cheeks have rested for 10 minutes inside of the pan, it is time to remove them from the pan and shred them on a cutting board.
- Once your barbacoa is all shredded, go ahead and fill your tortillas with the delicious meat and serve with diced onions and cilantro!
Enjoy your barbacoa tacos with your family and friends!